Barn Cats/Working Cats
Who are the Barn Cats/Working Cats?
Cats in our barn cat program fall into one of three categories:
- Cats whose litterbox habits make them unsuitable to live in the house.
- Cats who are social but too feisty in interactions with people here at Dakin.
- Cats who are shy or fearful of people, and who prefer the company of other cats and animals.
Please note that we do not adopt cats who are suitable to be household companions to barns, only those cats without other options.
You may be a homeless cat's last chance
Without adopters, these cats have nowhere else to go. If you have a working barn or other structure, there are cats who need you. Having a barn cat/working cat will help keep down the rodent population. The cats will be helping you, while you provide them a safe place to live. And, because these cats are already spayed or neutered, you won't have to worry about endless litters of kittens appearing!
Where can a barn cat/working cat go to work for you? Here are some examples:
What We Provide
We spay or neuter and vaccinate all of our barn cats/working cats. At the time of adoption, we will go over with you how to acclimate your new cat to their new setting.
What You Provide
- Shelter in a barn, garage, warehouse, outbuilding, stable, warehouse, winery or brewery.
- Daily food and water (cats cannot live on mice alone).
- Long-term veterinary care.
- A secure place to keep the cat for the first couple of weeks while she acclimates to her new setting. This should be an enclosure like a tack or feed room. We can loan you an introduction cage if you need one.
- If you are adopting a barn cat/working cat during the months of October through April, you will need to provide a heated area (or Dakin will provide an appropriate winter shelter structure for them to sleep in) until the cold months are over. Next winter the cat will grow a winter coat and will not require a heat source, although they always appreciate one. If you adopt a barn cat/working cat during the spring/summer/early fall, your cat will naturally grow a heavy winter coat as the cold weather approaches.
The $30 adoption fee for barn cats/working cats helps us cover some of their medical costs. Since many of these cats thrive in the company of other cats, we offer a $10 discount off the total when adopting more than one barn cat/working cat at a time.