Join us for a Guided Tour
Dakin Humane Society offers guided tours throughout the year. The best time to visit for a tour if you wish to view animals on our adoption floor would be late spring and summer when our animal population levels increase. Nearly ⅔ of our animal population at any given time can be in our foster network or behind the scenes receiving treatment medically and/or behaviorally.
What’s included in the tour? Tour guides share information with visitors about the following:
- An overview of the Adoption Center
- History of Dakin Humane Society
- Information about the shelter’s daily operations
- The animals we care for
- The services and programs we provide
- Suggestions for helping animals in our communities.
Visitors will be guided through a number of areas in the shelter, viewing available rabbits, cats, dogs and other small animals and our kitten nursery (when open for the summer season). This tour does not involve hands-on animal interaction and may not be suitable for children under 10 years of age.
Tours are offered throughout the year by appointment only. Reservations are required for all tours and conducted on a first come, first serve basis. Certain times of the year book quickly and we have a limited number of spots. The general public is always welcome to walk through our Springfield Adoption Center during business hours, groups requesting guided tours are by appointment only.
When are tours offered and how long do they last? 30 minutes - 45 minutes
Group size: Tours require a minimum of five people, maximum number of people including children and adults are 12
Minimum Age: Participants must be at least 10 years or older. Every 4 children must be accompanied by 1 adult.
Location: Tours are currently scheduled for our Springfield Adoption Center only.
Do you have special tour programs for Girl Scouts? Not currently, but this is something we are looking into for the future.
Is there a cost for the tour? Because Dakin Humane Society receives no state and federal funding, we depend on the generosity of our supporters to cover the cost of care for our animals. We kindly request a $10 fee per person for guided tours. Many groups also plan a donation drive prior to their tour to collect blankets, toys, food and other items to give to the animals at the adoption centers, a copy of our Wishlist is available here if your group would like to bring donations with them for the animals.
- Tours are up to 12 individuals each group. This includes adults, chaperones and children. If over 12 people you will need to book two separate tours.
- Youth and individuals with severe allergies to animals should not attend (please be advised we do use peanut butter in our facility for animal treats and training).
- Unfortunately we cannot provide refunds, changes or switches of any kind. This program and tour availability is based on those who donate their time to Dakin and employee availability to host the tours. Dakin staffing is limited and immediate priority is given to our animals.
Available Tours Times
Contact Us! 413-781-4000 ext. 3 or Email: email@example.com