Services and Fees for Dogs
Where to Find Us
Dakin Community Spay/Neuter Clinic
171 Union Street (entrance on Dale Street)
Springfield, MA 01105
Hours of operation are Tuesday-Saturday, 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
Administrative hours are Tuesday-Saturday 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
Closed Sunday and Monday
Call us for an appointment at 413-781-4019 or contact us by email.
Guidelines for Surgery & General Info
All healthy dogs over the age of 8 weeks and weighing at least 2 pounds are eligible for surgery. We offer vaccinations and other services only at the time of surgery or at Dakin’s weekly low-cost vaccine clinics. Please contact your veterinarian for ongoing wellness care for your dogs.
We are unable to provide surgery for dogs over 99 pounds in weight or English Bulldogs. These dogs' special needs are best served by full service veterinary hospitals. We serve Pugs and Boston Terriers only if they have normal breathing.
Our administrative hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 10:00 am - 2:30 pm. Due to high volume and demand for our services, our phone lines may be busy. Please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible, or you are welcome to schedule your appointment in person during our administrative hours.
Admission is promptly at 8:00 am and all dogs are discharged at 3:00 pm on the same day of surgery. Please leave all pets in your car when checking in.
Spay or Neuter Fees for Dogs
All surgery prices include the office fee, pre-surgery veterinary examination, and pain medication at no additional charge.
Pit bull spay/neuter surgeries (male or female): (Call clinic for appointment, online scheduling unavailable)
- $50 (subject to the guidelines below)
Your dog weighs up to 24 pounds (male or female):
- If male: $175 regular low price
- If female: $175 regular low price - add $50 for female dogs over one year of age
- $125 if you receive state or federal assistance (i.e., SNAP/EBT, disability or unemployment benefits, etc.) - add $25 for female dogs over one year of age
Your dog weighs between 25 and 49 pounds (male or female):
- $200 regular low price - add $50 for female dogs over one year of age
- $150 if you receive state or federal assistance (i.e., SNAP/EBT, disability or unemployment benefits, etc.) - add $25 for female dogs over one year of age
Your dogs weighs between 50 and 99 pounds (male or female):
- $225 regular low price - add $50 for female dogs over one year of age
- $175 if you receive state or federal assistance (i.e., SNAP/EBT, disability or unemployment benefits, etc.) - add $25 for female dogs over one year of age
Other possible charges:
- If our veterinarian determines that your dog is obese, we will charge an additional $25
- If your dog is pregnant, we will charge an additional $50
- If your dog is in heat, an additional charge of $25-$50 may apply
Make an Appointment
Appointment required. Full payment of surgery is required at the time of scheduling. To schedule an appointment:
Online (Best Option) - Payment Required at Checkout at Time of Scheduling Click Here
**If you have already made an appointment and just need to pay, Click here
Call us at 413-781-4019*
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
*Our administrative hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Due to high volume and demand for our services, our phone lines may be busy. Please leave us a message, and we will return your call as soon as possible.
We require dog surgeries to be paid in full in order to schedule an appointment
- To pay and schedule by phone, have a credit or debit card ready when we speak with you. We accept MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and debit cards with any of those symbols on the card.
- To pay and schedule your appointment in person, please come to the Clinic Tuesday - Saturday during our administrative hours (10:00 am - 2:30 pm) with cash, credit or debit card. We do not accept CareCredit or personal checks as forms of payment.
- We require more than 48 hours' notice to reschedule or cancel your appointment without penalty so that we may have time to fill your original appointment slot, otherwise there will be a $50 re-booking fee. All surgery funds will be transferred to your new appointment at no extra charge. Note: All surgery fees are non-refundable without manager approval.
Guidelines for Special Pit Bull Pricing
- To receive a $50 pit bull spay/neuter surgery, the dog must be your pet and either a pit bull or a primarily pit bull mix (mostly pit bull), and you must be receiving state or federal needs-based financial assistance, such as food stamps, disability, or unemployment. Our clinic staff will make the final determination about whether a dog qualifies for this pricing.
- The $50 surgery price is available only to dogs resident in Hampden, Hampshire, and Franklin counties (MA).
- If you live elsewhere or don't receive needs-based state or federal assistance, we are happy to help your dog at our regular low prices.
Also Available at the time of Surgery
- $12.00 Distemper/parvo (DA2PP) vaccination
- $20.00 Microchip identification (includes registration)
- $25.00 Heartworm test
- $12.00 Frontline (kills fleas and ticks for 1 month; 1 application)
- $12.00 Nail trim
- $25.00 Hernia repair
- $12.00 Elizabethan ("lamp shade") collar
- $12.00 Rabies vaccination**
- FREE! I.D. tag
Please note that we are unable to provide written prescriptions for medications.
**A word about rabies vaccinations
Massachusetts law requires that all pets be vaccinated for rabies. Please bring a current certificate of vaccination (a tag is not proof) with you the day of surgery. If you do not have proof, we will vaccinate your pet for an additional charge of $12.00.